Search This Blog

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Secret Of Reaching All Of Your Fitness Goals

My business card reads...Rich Mejias, Strength and Conditioning Coach
I think it's time for a change...

Rich Mejias, Life Changer.

The reason for the change of title is not to boost my self-esteem, but to really describe what I do for my clients.  I am not hired to help someone increase their bench press numbers, improve their 1RM in their squat, or decrease the time in their 40 yard dash.  I was put on this earth to change lives, to help a father play soccer with his child, help a mother get into the dress of her dreams for her daughter's wedding, or help an elite athlete get a scholarship to a school that their family may not be able to afford.  That's what I do.  That's my passion and what pushes me to get out of bed at 5am every morning, with no thought or hesitation to hit that snooze button.

What's my secret?
 
Training + Nutrition + Recovery = DREAMS
 
Let's take that formula and break it down to it's basics.
#1 Training
I don't care how you want to label the type of training that I do, but the one thing that I can tell you is that when you are at Leverage Training Center...
"YOU BETTER BRING IT"
You better be ready to give everything that you have into the session.  Most of the time I am only able to see a client 2-3x's per week, and those sessions have to have maximum effort.  The way that I know whether you are giving me 110% is if you ask yourself within the first 20 minutes..."Why did I come here today?"
#2 Nutrition
I am not a nutritionist.  I do not give my clients a nutrition menu to follow, but I do make excellent suggestions.  I am with my client one hour a day.  That means they have the capability in the other 23 hours to reverse what we just did in that one hour.  If I do not give them the information to become successful during those 23 hours, then I am now decreasing my chances to get them to their goal.
I recently attended the Peak Performance Program Design and Nutrition Seminar with presenting speakers:  Joe Dowdell and Dr. Mike Roussell.  I picked up many key points that I know will help guide my clients to get great results.  I immediately started to add these points into my training.

The first thing I implemented was Dr. Mike's "6 Pillars of Nutrition".  Every client will get this on the first day they train with me.  The Pillars will be discussed at some point in every training session.
The 6 Pillars of Nutrition:
1.  Eat five to six times a day.
2.  Limit the consumption of sugar and processed foods.
3.  Eat fruits and vegetables throughout the day.
4.  Drink more water and non-calorie drinks.
5.  Focus on consuming lean proteins throughout the day.
6.  Save starch containing foods until after a workout, or for breakfast.
#3 Recovery
Recovery is an overlooked topic by many clients that is not stressed upon enough.  I cannot stress to my clients enough about the importance of rest.  It is often very difficult to help your client obtain all of their fitness goals when they only get about 4 hours of sleep the night before.  Whether the excuse is work, partying, or stress, it is not part of the recipe for creating a "Fat Burning Environment".  I always stress to my clients the importance of getting 8 hours of sleep, supplementing with the right products such as BCAA and protein shakes, and training every day.

Your Body Is Your Temple...Now Treat It Like One.

These 3 things create a guaranteed recipe for success if you are looking to lose weight, increase lean muscle, or increase sports performance.  If you are not doing one of these things, what are you waiting for?  It is not too late...GET TO WORK!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment